Is the wild ride in Windsor’s Real Estate market over?
The Canadian Real Estate Association predicts that the Real Estate market across Canada will continue to grow and rise steadily in 2020.
What does that mean?
Well, the Bank of Canada the, the lovely crown corporation that controls the interest rates for lenders has kept the interest rate low. And with the changes to the mortgage stress test that means properties that would have been out of reach, are now becoming more realistic to more potential buyers.
Good news for first time home buyers.
Low interest rates means more money for buyers to spend on houses. This also means homes that may have been out of your price range are now becoming more affordable!
Need more information?
I’m more than happy to help!
Or call me direct 519-965-1295
Our real estate market is booming!
Windsor is finally starting to catch up to the rest of the country, house prices are steadily rising while the mortgage rates are staying low. Buyer’s are in a great position to get homes that were out of reach before, and Seller’s are getting more then ever for their homes!
Your house isn’t worth as much as you think! You see all over social media people getting 50K or 100K over asking! Great that means their house is worth that much more! Just because Mr. Green’s home sold for way over asking doesn’t mean the same for every house on the block!
As a matter of fact I myself had a client who thought their home was worth 50-60K more than what we had told them to expect. Their expectations simply didn’t match reality. After listing the home, getting 4 written offers and driving the price well past asking they were disappointed. Their perception was askew by what their neighbour two blocks over got for their home.
Getting in line
As a Realtor our job is to sell your house, or find you a “perfect” house. A big part of getting in line is, getting your expectations in check with reality! As much as we say “Yes” to all your wants and wishes you need someone who’s going to be honest with you, and that’s where we break away from the pack.
Honest and truthful Valuation
If someone is willing to tell you what your house is worth without ever setting foot inside, take that valuation and toss it! It’s worth no more than the paper its written on! It’s great to get an idea of what your home is worth online but the personal touch really is where its at! When you’re ready for a real valuation from someone who really cares…
Give us a shout!
Want to get in touch instantly? Message us right here right now!
If you’re looking to buy your first home here’s everything you need to know!
(Step 1) First and foremost talk to the bank! You need to know your budget, there’s no sense in looking at what you can’t afford. It’s okay to dream but don’t get your hopes crushed by looking at whats out of reach!
(Step 2) Secondly make a list of your must haves, this can really help your realtor find you exactly what you want and need!
(Step 3) Third, get a REALTOR! When you’re buying a house it’s FREE so why not use an expert!
Keep on reading i’m going to break down each of these steps!
Step 1 Financing
The market always changes but right now the Windsor / Essex-County real estate market is 100% a sellers market. You need to come into a deal with as little conditions as possible if you want to win and close the deal.
- Talk to a mortgage specialist or broker and get Pre-Approved! You need to know exactly what you can spend you don’t want to be scrambling asking family for loans to cover what you thought you could afford.
- Down Payment is a huge deal. I’m sure you’ve heard of CMHC? Well CMHC sets rules for home buying and down payment requirements. Chances are in Windsor / Essex as a first time home buyer you’ll be buying under $500,000.00 the rules in place for a home of $500k or less is you need 5% down. What this means is for a home asking price of $100k you need $5000 to put down and so on. See the rules and calculate exactly what you need HERE.
- Closing costs and Land transfer. Lawyer fees can add up make sure you retain a good trust worthy lawyer to take care of closing arrangements without any hidden fees. The government of Canada has created programs that will actually cover some expenses and portions of land transfer tax for first time home buyers. Learn all about it right HERE. What you might not know is that even if you owned a home as long as your spouse has never been on title they are eligible for a portion of the incentives offered by the Canadian Government.
Now that financing is in order you can comfortably look at houses in your price range and when the time is right you can confidently submit your offer and know you can afford your dream home!
Step 2 The list
What you want and need in a home is super important. You don’t want to waste time looking at a million houses just to be disappointed that it doesn’t have enough rooms or is missing that breakfast nook.
Start your list off with the following:
- 5 top desired neighbourhoods
- Top home styles you like. (ex: ranch, 2 story, back-split) you get the gist.
- Number of rooms
- Number of bathroom
- You must have features. (ex: garage, breakfast nook, scenic views) whatever your heart desires!
The biggest thing you need on top of this list is an open mind. In a sellers market you need to be aggressive and keep in mind that you might not get everything on your list but you can certainly get most of it!
Step 3 Get a Realtor
We’ve all seen the bus benches and billboard adds, there’s a plethora of Realtors in the area. What you need is someone who’s going to help you with every step, answer your questions, and get you the home of your dreams. Believe it or not the billboard realtor probably isn’t your best option. If you’re prepared to be 1 of 200 clients chances are you’re going to fall off the agents radar really quick especially as a first time buyer. They’d much rather deal with their multi million dollar clients. A good bet is to get someone newer to the market who has the knowledge but also the tenacity, desire and ability to make you client number 1. You might think a new agent can’t get the job done. But when your 1 of maybe 10 clients you’re always at the top of the list! If you need a REALTOR who’s going to eat, sleep, and live your real estate needs click HERE.
- Talk to your bank, mortgage specialist or mortgage broker and figure out how much you can spend
- Figure out how to get your down payment
- Make sure you have enough to cover closing fees, lawyer costs, land transfer etc. Take full advantage of the Government of Canada programs.
- Make a list of what you want out of a house, with your must haves, location of choice etc.
- Get a Realtor. It’s free especially as a buyer so why not!
It’s not that hard when you break it down. If your still unsure Let’s Get In Touch, I’m happy to help you along in this journey!